Are you confused about the best food for yorkie poo puppy?!, if yes, you are in the right place now. Yorkiepoo is a hybrid between a Yorkshire terrier and Poodle. This little furry puppy is affectionate, loveable, and energetic that needs special nutrition to meet its needs. Yorkie poo food differs depending on their age, in other words, puppies do not eat the same amount as adults or seniors. Every stage needs a specific percentage of nutrients. Keep reading to figure out the yorkies favorite food and what you should avoid.
Best Food For Yorkie Poo Puppy
As previously mentioned, yorkie poo dog food differs according to stages. Let’s talk here about Yorkie poo puppy. In general, puppies require a diet with dense calories because of their high metabolism.
Yorkie poo puppy is an energetic dog so its metabolism will be higher than those of other breeds. They require a well-balanced diet that contains high-quality proteins with a percentage of minimum 22%. Proteins are beneficial for building muscles and appropriate growth, especially for puppies as they grow rapidly.
Additionally, they need a sufficient amount of fat to provide them with energy. The diet should have 8% fats. However, do not exclude vegetables and fruits as they are good sources of carbohydrates that prevent them from having hypoglycemia.
Learn more about: Yorkie Food Allergy; Symptoms and Prevention
Yorkie Poo Puppy Feeding Chart
The following table will guide you to have quick information about calories and amounts of food Yorkie poo puppy needs. However, you must consider the instruction written for every food product you buy.
|Age||Weight||Amount of food|
|Newborn||0-1 lb||Nursing, mashed food, make dry food wet|
|Up to 6 weeks||1-2 lb||Nursing, mashed food, make dry food wet|
|6 weeks – 4 months||2-3 lb||200 calories of dry food divided through the day|
|4-9 months||3-6 lb||200 calories of dry food divided through the day|
Best Food For Yorkie Poo Puppy Products
Unfortunately, many dog parents think that you can feed your dog anything and all dog food products are the same. However, this is not true. Before going to the supermarket, you have to consider the following recommendations related to the product you will buy
- The first ingredient is a protein source including real meat, poultry, or fish.
- Must contain fat with a percentage of 18% to 22% crude fat, it is important for their energy.
- Organic, free from chemicals, GMOs, preservatives, artificial colors, and flavors. It is best for their health because they can induce food allergy to some Yorkiepoos.
- Must contain sources of fresh fruits and vegetables to provide them with essential vitamins and minerals.
- The carbohydrates within the formula must be limited and preferably to be whole grains and low-starch veggies.
Read more about Which Is The Best Dry Food For Yorkies?
Merrick Lil’ Plates Pint-Sized Puppy Plate
The first ingredient in Merrick is real deboned chicken, it has a sufficient amount of protein. The best thing about it is the small plate size that is suitable for your puppy to eat without wasting.
- Contains omega fatty acids, glucosamine, and chondroitin
- Prebiotics, probiotics, and essential minerals to aid in digestion.
- 100% grain-free with no gluten
- It contains potatoes, carrots, peas, and apples as natural carbohydrates source
The main protein source is a real deboned lamb that is very palatable. The formula is well balanced that contains fats and carbs in appropriate amounts in addition to zinc, calcium, phosphorus, selenium, and vitamin E.
- Free from grain, corn, wheat, and soy
- Antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals for improving your puppy’s immunity
- Sweet potatoes and chickpeas as sources of energy
- Salmon oil and flaxseed as sources of omega-3 and 6 fatty acids to improve the coat, eye, brain health.
Diamond Naturals Small Breed Puppy Formula
Diamond Naturals is a dry puppy food with real cage-free chicken as the first ingredient. The formula contains 32% proteins and 22% fats that sound too much for some puppies. However, if your Yorkiepoo puppy is very active, this product would meet its needs.
- Free from corn, wheat, artificial flavors, or colors.
- Species-specific K9 strain proprietary probiotics, antioxidants, and prebiotics to support gut and skin health.
- Omega-3, Omega-6 fatty acids, minerals, and vitamins
Hill’s Science Diet Puppy, Small Bites, Chicken Meal & Barley Recipe
Hill’s Science is one of the recommended products because it contains high-quality protein. The main protein source here is chicken. Also, it does not include chicken by-products. It supports your puppy’s immunity and overall health because of its antioxidants, minerals, and vitamin content.
- Includes fish oil as a source of DHA that is essential for brain and eye development
- Includes a balanced mix of minerals and vitamins to support your puppy’s bone health
- Veterinarian recommended
Foods To Avoid Feeding Your Yorkie Poo Puppy
Dogs are unlike humans in many dietary nutrients, not every food you eat can your dog eat. Here is a list of some foods that are not safe for your Yorkie poo puppy:
- Fruits: apple seeds, avocado, grapes, raisins, persimmon, peaches, plum pits, rhubarb, tomato leaves
- Vegetables: garlic, mushroom, corn on the cob, onions, chives
- Proteins: almonds, cooked bones, liver, fat trimmings, raw meat, and fish, raw eggs, bacon
- Pantry items: chocolate, popcorn, salt, sugar, yeast, macadamia nuts, baking soda, baking powder
- Household staples: human vitamins, candy, chewing gum, toothpaste, mouthwash, baked goods
- Beverages: alcohol, milk, dairy products, coffee, tea, and other caffeine drinks
- Others: cat food, hops, tobacco, sugary foods, and drinks, coconut and coconut oil
The best food for yorkie poo puppy is well-balanced, high-quality food. However, do not serve your Yorkie poo puppy every food you eat, it could cause stomach upset, diarrhea, vomiting, or sometimes it could be toxic. Opt for organic natural food products that are free from GMOs, preservatives, and additives to avoid food allergies. Make sure that the product contains at least 22% protein, 8% fats, whole grains, and low-starch veggies. Finally, check the label of the product well before buying to determine the nutrients included and the appropriate amount to feed your Yorkie poo puppy as well. For further information or questions, let me know in the comments below.